Regardless of what type of yoga you are practicing, it is easy to get hot and sweaty while maneuvering poses. As you go through the motions, you don’t want to be slipping off your mat due to sweaty hands and feet.
The mat is where the magic happens, and you need one that is going to be sturdy, slip-proof and strong enough to withstand the heat.
Therefore, what you need is a Bikram yoga mat. These mats are ideal for hot yoga, outdoor, and in the sun yoga along with intense yoga. You are going to get sweaty regardless of which kind of yoga you practice.
Why do hot yoga at all?
You may think that it seems really strange to practice hot yoga, but the truth is, there are tons of benefits from doing yoga in the heat. Here are some of those benefits.
Fewer Toxins – doing hot yoga allows impurities to sweat out of your body thus reducing the toxins in your body.
Lung Capacity – the heat helps your lungs to expand more, thus allowing you to take more air. Additionally, this form of yoga is designed to increase your breathing and, thus lung capacity.
Increased Flexibility – the heat helps your muscles to be more limber and allows you to deepen your bends, twists, and more.
Stronger Immune System – a hot environment is great for helping to boost your immune system.
Weight Loss – the heat combined with the yoga moves is great for supporting losing those extra pounds.
Circulation – the heat and yoga practice are both excellent for your circulation.
Reduced Injuries – The heat, combined with more thoughtful breathing exercises and deeper poses, helps reduce the likelihood of injury.
What should you look for in a hot yoga (bikram yoga) mat?
Hot yoga has different needs that are a bit different from other yoga. Therefore, you want to look for specific things when it comes to shopping for the best Bikram yoga mat. Below are the key things you consider while you shop.
Sweat-resistant/ absorbent – Since the key part of this type of yoga is HEAT; you are going to sweat. Therefore, you need a mat that is going to handle all that sweat.
Easy to Clean – Again, sweating is going to be inevitable. Therefore, you need a mat that is going to be easy to clean so that you don’t have to deal with yesterday’s sweat during today’s session.
Grip – There are two types of grip to consider, dry and wet grip. Either way, you want to ensure that you can maintain your grip to prevent injury.
Thickness – This may be more of a preference, but you want to ensure you are comfortable. Heat and yoga can feel uncomfortable, so the thickness is important for added comfort.
Material – The type of material your mat is made of is going to determine how it withstands the heat and the sweat.
Texture – Having a mat that feels right is essential. Plus, texture plays an important roll in how comfortable you feel and the type of grip you can maintain.
Weight – How heavy your mat may be is also a determining factor because if you do yoga at a studio, portability is something to consider.
Length – Your yoga mat should be long enough to hold your entire body during poses. There are a variety of lengths for a variety of heights, including extra-long.
Where it was made – Knowing where your mat is made helps determine if this mat is constructed well.
Durability – For hot yoga, you need a mat that can withstand the heat, the pressure, and sweat from your body without falling apart.
- Eco-Friendly materials
- Does it repel sweat and dirt?
- Does it have a chemical or rubber smell to it or not?
- The company
Our Top Picks:
Best Overall: Manduka PRO Yoga Mat – Premium 6mm Thick Mat, Eco-Friendly, Oeko-Tex Certified, and Free of ALL Chemicals. High Performance Grip, Ultra Dense Cushioning for Support and Stability in Yoga, Pilates, Gym and Any General Fitness
Best for Hot Yoga: Aurorae Synergy 2 in 1 Yoga Mat; with Integrated Non-Slip Microfiber Towel. Best for Hot, Ashtanga, Bikram and Active Yoga Where You Sweat and Slip; Stops Slipping and Bunching; Patent Protected
The Best Bikram Yoga Mats on Today’s Market
You want the very best. Our top choices for yoga mats are among the best. However, there are a few other options you can also consider. Have a look at our list.
1. Gaiam Yoga Mat – Premium 6mm Print Extra Thick Exercise & Fitness Mat for All Types of Yoga, Pilates & Floor Exercises
The Gaiam Yoga Mat is among the best mats on the market because they are extra thick and very durable. The mat is sticky and has a non-slip texture that is more grippy and great for traction. The mat is made of non-toxic 6P free PVC making these mats eco-friendly.
Dimensions: 68″L x 24″W x 6mm Thick
- Excellent Grip
- No slipping
- Multiple color choices
- Strong Scent
- Attracts lint/pet hair
The Jade Yoga Mat has an excellent grip and provides superior traction. They use a natural rubber, which is much more grippy than any other mat and adds more cushioning. This rubber mat is among the best because it is designed for lasting performance and durability through any intense workout. Additionally, the Jade Yoga company gives back by planting trees for every product sold.
Dimensions: 3/16″ thick, 24″ wide regular width / 28″ in XW
- Excellent traction
- Great construction
- Grip is excellent
- Mat doesn’t hold up after hours of use weekly
- The colors fade in the sun
3. Liforme Original Yoga Mat – The World’s Best Eco-Friendly, Non-Slip Yoga Mat with The Original & Unique Alignment Marker System – Made with Natural Rubber – Biodegradable Yoga Mat
The Liforme yoga mat is among the top contenders and definitely the top for eco-friendly as it is a fully biodegradable mat. Made from natural rubber and special eco-polyurethane, this mat is tough and has a great grip on it. The mat comes with alignment lines to help you achieve the right pose and give you the perfect balance.
Dimensions: 70.8″ L x 23.6″ W 2mm Thick
- Comes with a carry bag
- The grip is unmatched
- The lines help you focus on form
- Padding could be better
- The material squeaks while changing positions
4. Aurorae Synergy 2 in 1 Yoga Mat; with Integrated Non-Slip Microfiber Towel. Best for Hot, Ashtanga, Bikram and Active Yoga Where You Sweat and Slip; Stops Slipping and Bunching; Patent Protected
The Synergy hot yoga mat is one of the best mats for hot/active yoga on the market. Using this mat, you will not experience slipping or bunching as you go through the various asanas. The mat is made from 5mm of eco-friendly natural cork along with a microfiber yoga towel that bonds to the mat no matter how wet the mat becomes.
Dimensions: 72” L X 24” W
- Absorbs sweat
- Easy to wash
- You may have to spray it down before use
- Bunches if not damp enough
5. CORK YOGA NON-SLIP MAT + FREE YOGA STRAP (72″ x 24″ x 4mm thick)- NATURAL RUBBER, Eco-Friendly, Non-Toxic, Latex Free, Antimicrobial, 100% Biodegradable
This cork mat is among the best because it is very durable, and it is engineered for yoga instructors. This mat is both lightweight and padded enough to be comfortable with a 4mm thickness that is ideal protection during most yoga poses. Furthermore, this mat will not slip, and it has antimicrobial agents that keep it clean and odor-free.
Dimensions: 72 x 24 x 0.2 inches
- Comes with a yoga strap that couples as a carrying strap
- There is an optional matching yoga towel
- The material is 100% biodegradable
- Not thick enough for those with knee issues
- Slips at times when wet
6. Ajna Eco Organic Yoga Mat – Natural Jute Yoga Mats – Large Non Slip – Reversible Jute PER – Carrying Strap – Extra Long Yoga Mat 72 Inch – 5mm – All Yoga – Vegan
These yoga mats are designed to give you the best for your knees and joints. They are non-slip and don’t bunch up. The grip on these mats is amazing, and you can feel confident knowing that there is full stability with this mat. You will love how lightweight this mat is and how you can take of this mat easily. Of the best yoga mats, this one repels smells and sweat for a more hygienic yoga practice.
Dimensions: 72 inches long and 5mm thick
- This mat is completely all-natural
- The company plants trees with every purchase
- You can clean this mat easily
- Not ideal if you are going to sweat a lot
- You should wear pants with this mat
7. BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High-Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap
This mat is designed to ensure comfort for people regardless of shape or size. The high-density foam provides comfortable material to do any asana on. The double sided mat is slip-proof and provides optimal grip. You can keep your balance easily with this mat with exceptional resilience. Overall, an excellent mat for anyone practicing yoga.
Dimensions: 71” L x 24” w ½” THICK
- Easy to clean
- Comes in multiple colors
- Provides decent stability
- Can get slippery when wet
- Has a weird scent to it
8. Manduka PRO Yoga Mat – Premium 6mm Thick Mat, Eco-Friendly, Oeko-Tex Certified and Free of ALL Chemicals. High Performance Grip, Ultra Dense Cushioning for Support and Stability in Yoga, Pilates, Gym and Any General Fitness
Of yoga mats, this one has incredible density and cushioning for your joints. You will love how supportive these mats are and the care that went into the craftsmanship. The materials used are imported PVC. The mat has a closed-cell surface that prevents sweat and dirt buildup and avoids bacteria from forming. Closed-cell makes it nearly impossible for dirt to get in.
Dimensions: 71″L x 26″W – 85″L x 26″W 6.35mm Thick
- Excellent cushioning
- The product is guaranteed for life
- You never lose grip
- Starts to lose its aesthetic appeal after time
- Takes time to break-in
9. Travel: YOGA DESIGN LAB | The Combo Yoga MAT | 2-in-1 Mat+Towel | Eco-Luxury | Ideal for Hot Yoga, Power, Bikram, Ashtanga, Sweat | Studio Quality | Includes Carrying Strap!
These beautiful mats are excellent for anyone looking for the added support needed to do various yoga poses. The mat is a yoga towel/mat combo that is designed to help improve grip and absorption of sweat. Made from natural rubber and microfiber materials, this mat can be cleaned easily. These mats are both functional and aesthetically appealing.
Dimensions: 70 in (178 cm) x 24 in (61 cm) x 3.5 mm
- Has beautiful designs that don’t fade
- There are many color options
- You don’t slip on this mat at all
- The mat tends to bunch up when you are moving quickly
- Has an unappealing odor
10. Non-Slip Yoga Mat – Stays Fresh and Odor-Free – Grippy Cushy and Spacious – Made from Best Natural Tree Rubber – Great for Hot Yoga, Pilates, Exercise Includes Carry Bag with Strap
This extra-large yoga mat is ideal for any type of yoga practice. You will love how comfortable this mat is without compromising the stability. You can maintain a strong grip as well as not worry about sliding. This mat is made from natural rubber without the use of any chemicals. You will love the fact that this mat provides optimal cushioning that is uncompromisable.
Dimensions: 84.2” L X 26.8” W 4.5 mm thick
- Excellent stability
- Comes in a range of colors
- Easy to clean
- Does smell of rubber
- Heavier than you might think
When looking for the best Bikram yoga mat, did you like this list? There are many great options to choose from, and hopefully, you found the one you like best. The one thing to consider is when doing hot yoga or any kind of yoga that requires sweating; you want stability. Of those mats reviewed, each of these provides a level of comfort and stability needed to provide you with confidence.