When I took my first camping trip last year, I was very cognizant of a restful night’s sleep. As I lay down inside my tent, I can almost sense everything around me: cricket sounds, the rustling leaves, the cold wind outside, and the softness of my portable memory mattress as my tired body sank in. I can’t be more than thankful for having a nice foldable bed during my first camping trip. It made the experience incredibly worthwhile.
Comfort is simply at one’s fingertips if one is willing to find it. If you are a busy, active outdoor enthusiast, an avid camper, or has frequent stay overs, then owning a foldable mattress bed is very essential. Why? A foldable mattress bed is amongst several things; portable, comfortable and easy to assemble. Who wouldn’t want to feel comfortable whenever and wherever anyway?
Allows you to get a comfortable night’s sleep wherever you go.
Easily accommodates all your sleeping needs then folds neatly away for easy storage in seconds.
In a rush? You can skip to parts you want!
- Things To Consider When Purchasing A Folding Mattress
- Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Folding Mattresses
- The Final Verdict
Things To Consider When Purchasing A Folding Mattress
Camping was an adventure but having a restful night sleep was an even better tradeoff. The following are some of the components I look for in a good foldable mattress.
- They are portable which make it easy to fold – Most folding mattresses feature two folds (bi-fold) or three folds (tri-fold) that allow owners to compress the foldable bed into a much smaller size, making them easy to store. It will depend on the material and the size of the mattress (twin size, queen, etc). They do have handles to carry with and they fit in most cars.
- Light and compact – Heavy mattresses or those that take up too much space can be troublesome especially during travels.
- They are thin for the most part and not going beyond 6 inches thick in most cases –The thicker the mattress the more comfortable it will be. There are mattresses that are up to 8 inches thick. They are easier to sleep on but also are on the heavier side and more expensive too. They cost more and are not so portable too.
- The material is foam mattress layers with either polyfoam or memory foam:
- Memory foam mattress is a dense material that adjusts itself according to the weight applied to it. This creates some sinking feeling as well. It does also absorb heat and may not be the best option for those where you are warm all the time. Foldable memory foam mattresses are generally the most comfortable and offer high durability as well. However, on the downside, these are more expensive than other variety of mattresses.
- On the other hand, polyurethane (or latex) foam is an inexpensive foam that is much less durable and comfortable than memory foam. They don’t last as long and they are relatively budget-friendly.They are not meant to serve you for a long time but still provide a comfortable sleeping surface. The support is also great since foam is firm. Most back sleepers will prefer a latex foam folding mattress.
- Cost effective – Foldable foam mattresses are quite low compared to standard mattresses
- Cover for the mattresses does matter –It protects against the elements, moisture, and dust mites If you are going camping it’s probably recommended to get a waterproof cover. If you are wanting to wash the cover you want to look for covers that are washable and removable. Polyester is more breathable and wicks away sweat, but most of the time it is not machine–washable. Cotton covers are removable so that you can spot clean it or machine-wash it. If you are buying the best folding mattress for use by kids, a removable cover will work great.
- Size – Folding mattresses come in all the sizes mentioned above As you know a large size means paying more money. It’s always important to double check the measurements since sometimes you may get a mattress that claims to be a particular size only to find the dimensions are way off from the foundation it will be using(Precaution: If you are tall you may want to look at these dimensions before buying as well.)
- A twin sized dimensions of 75 x 39 inches (length x width) that is suitable for kids.
- A full-sized dimension of 75 x 54 inches (length x width) that is suitable for single adults.
- A foldable mattress queen-sized dimension of 80 x 60 inches (length x width) and is suitable for couples.
- Versatile – You can use them as a chair or chill out in front of the TV. You can use them in the kid’s room as well.
- Support – Look at how thick the mattress is. For most beds, the thicker it is, the more comfortable it feels. When using a fold-up mattress without a box foundation, you’ll need it to be packed and firm so that you will not sink and feel the ground against your body. Look for beds that offer a firm base measuring from 3 inches to 9 inches.
If you are in the market for a foldable mattress, whether it is for your travels, guests or even if you are a first-time shopper, our consolidated guide for the best mattress in the market today can be your best reference in choosing the right one. Our choices are based on verified customer and owner experiences, along with intensive product research and analysis. In this guide, we discussed the following:
- The top 5 best foldable mattress brands available in the market today using the following essential criteria: dimension, weight, the material used, and firmness.
- Additional sizes available for each brand.
- Contains the detailed reviews of our top picks, complete with their pros and cons.
Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Folding Mattresses
- Comes in three sizes: Twin size , Full size, and Queen size
- Mattress measurements:
- Queen – Flat position: 78in.x58in.x6in. Folded: 58in.x26in.x18in
- Full – Flat position: 73in.x52in.x6in. Folded: 52in.x24.5in.x18in.
- Twin – Flat position: 78in.x38in.x6in. Folded: 38in.x26in.x18in.
- The Milliard Memory Foam Trifold Mattress allows you to get a comfortable night’s sleep wherever you go. Simply unfold the foam bed on the floor in any room, mobile home, or tent for a comfortable night’s sleep. This bed easily accommodates all your sleeping needs then foldaway mattresses provide for easy storage in seconds.
- Memory foam is known for its therapeutic qualities and comfortable support. The Milliard trifold mattress is ventilated for air flow to help regulate sleep temperature for maximum support and comfort. Available in Twin, Full and Queen Size.
- The Milliard Memory Foam Trifold Mattress is the ideal solution to temporary sleeping accommodations. Perfect for unexpected sleepover guests, family reunion, dorm rooms, camping, and traveling.
- The Milliard 6in. trifold mattress beds are constructed of 1.5in. of 3lb luxurious memory foam over a 4.5-inch supportive foam base for a great sleep experience. Our CertiPUR-US certified premium memory foam supersedes all with superior high-density construction that will not lose its shape.
- The mattress includes a removable cover with jacquard ultra-soft material with anti-slip bottom.
- Very comfortable and breathable tri-fold mattress.
- Easy to maintain with easy to wash the ultra soft bamboo cover.
- The brand offers a small range of variety compared to other manufacturers.
- Comes in various sizes:
- Twin X-Large
- Foldable Mattress Queen Size
- Short Queen Size
- King Size
- California King Size
- Small and Extra Small
- 1.5″ Memory foam top layer + 2.5″ high-density base foam layer for added comfort and support.
- Great for camping, overnight guests, car trips and sleepovers.
- 100% poly-Jacquard zippered cover with the slip-proof bottom (machine washable cool/gentle).
- CertiPUR-US Certified memory and high-density foam.
- Memory high-density foam is super comfortable and very convenient for.
- Covers should come in different colors. White fabrics turn yellow over time.
- Comes in three sizes: Twin, Full, and Queen
- Mattress measurements:
- Queen –Dimensions: 80 x 60 x 4 inches.
- Full – Dimensions: 75 x 54 x 4 inches
- Twin – Dimensions: 75 x 39 x 4 inches
- Designed to provide firm, high-density foam for maximum comfort and a removable, cover for easy cleaning.
- Use it as a convenient guest bed, a comfy camping bed, or as a floor sofa during movie nights and gatherings with friends and family.
- Portable, tri-fold design with 2 handles lets you take it anywhere so you always have a comfortable extra bed to use.
- Recommended setup: Open package in a well-ventilated area to release a harmless odor that should dissipate within several hours. Wait 72 hours for maximum expansion.
- Foam meets CertiPUR-US standards for content, emissions, and durability.
- The brand’s easy-to-wash cover and firm, light-weight, high-density foam makes it manageable and convenient for various activities.
- The cover’s handle needs to be improved as it is made of lightweight fabric. It tends to get torn easily. It would be troublesome if the handle snaps when traveling.
- 4 Inch mattress features premium cover.
- 1 inch top layer of fiber padding plus 3 inches of Pressure Relieving Comfort Foam for support.
- Deluxe steel frame with casters for easy transport.
- Casters are uniquely positioned on the frame, so when it is open the legs do not move around on the floor.
- You can literally bring the bed along with you anytime and anywhere you go given the attached steel frame on it.
- Due to the attached steel frame, transporting and transferring it elsewhere will be very limited as it is bulky and heavy.
- Comes in various sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen and King
- Mattress measurements:
- Queen –Flat position: 60 x 28 x 12 in. Folded: 60 x 80 x 4 in.
- King – Flat position: 76 x 28 x 12 in. Folded: 76 x 80 x 4 in.
- Full – Flat position: 54 x 26.75 x 12 in. Folded: 54 x 75 x 4 in.
- Twin – Flat position: 39 x 26.75 x 12 in. Folded: 39 x 75 x 4 in
- Twin XL – Flat position: 39 x 28 x 12 in. Folded: 39 x 80 x 4 in
- Durable Indoor/Outdoor Cover.
- Doubles as a sofa style floor chair to provide comfortable seating and a convenient guest mattress in one.
- Perfect for sleepover guests, camping, cabins, dorm rooms, and kids playroom.
- A great alternative to futons, bunk beds, and trundle beds.
- A durable indoor/outdoor cover is removable and machine washable – 3 Year Warranty.
- CertiPUR-US certified with no harmful odors, resistant to dust mites, and safe for children.
- Cover in a darker color ensures easier maintenance than the white ones, and stains can be less conspicuous.
- The brand has different sizes to offer to suit more needs.
- The cover should be made with a more durable material to avoid rips.
The Final Verdict
Allows you to get a comfortable night’s sleep wherever you go.
Easily accommodates all your sleeping needs then folds neatly away for storage in seconds.
And the winner is Milliard Memory Foam. This brand, in particular, the fact that it only offers three sizes, passed most of the necessary criteria when choosing the best folding mattress. Milliard Memory Foams breathable, ultra-soft bamboo cover makes it unique, cool and comfortable compared to other memory foams on the list. The composition of the foam from the 4.5-inch foam for lasting support, covered with 1.5 in memory foam to the ultra soft bamboo cover is built to last longer. It is also structured to further provide comfort and support, especially with those having back issues.
Now that we have chosen the best folding mattress, you can still go and explore for yourself using the mentioned criteria on this article for reference. It will help you a lot to decide which brand and build you may choose depending on your needs. Besides, comfort is all about you and you’re the one to decide which one suits you best.